The Mercenaries and Merchants Guilds and Fixers offer various missions in their offices or in the bar respectively. The more missions you complete successfully, the higher your reputation, the more difficult (and profitable) missions will be offered.
Mercenaries Guild Edit
- Harmless: 6 missions to advance. Total of 0 missions to attain this rank.
- Mostly Harmless: 10 missions to advance. Total of 6 missions to attain this rank.
- Poor: 15 missions to advance. Total of 16 missions to attain this rank.
- Average: 20 missions to advance. Total of 36 missions to attain this rank.
- Competent: 25 missions to advance. Total of 51 missions to attain this rank.
- Dangerous: 30 missions to advance. Total of 76 missions to attain this rank.
- Deadly: 35 missions to advance. Total of 106 missions to attain this rank.
- Elite: Maximum Rank. Total of 141 missions to attain this rank.
Types of Missions Edit
- Scout: A simple mission in which the player must fly to a specific nav point. The player may need to defend their ship from any hostiles present at said nav point, though their destruction is not necessary for mission completion.
- Attack Hostiles: A fairly straightforward mission. The player must fly to the given nav point and eliminate the hostiles there.
- Defend Base: A slight variation of the Attack Hostiles mission; this time the hostiles are located around a specific base or planet instead of a nav point.
- Patrol: The player must fly around a specified set of nav points, eliminating any enemies they find. Note that not all nav points will have enemies to shoot.
- Escort Ship: The player must escort a ship from point A to point B, guarding it from any hostiles encountered on the way. Care should be taken to actually read through the briefing unless you'd like to find out what trying to escort a Tarsus is like. If the briefing states that there is a rendevous with another ship then an extra hidden mission paramater is added that the rendevous ship should be kept alive as well, so be careful if you take multiple missions in the same sector as it might spawn hostiles at the rendevous location leading to mission failure if the rendevous ship explodes.
- Bounty Alive/Dead: The player must search the specified systems for a specific target. After locating the target, the player will be required to either capture them (usually by boarding) and take them to Trou in the Bastille system or kill them. The target will often have upgraded weapons and shields, so caution is advised. The target can be at any Nav Point in any of the specified systems so the mission can take a long time.
- Join raid: The player must join up with a small group of hunters and destroy several large groups of enemies at the specified nav points. Note that the other hunters are not critical to the success of the mission; you can let them all get killed or even go on without them, as long as all of the enemies get destroyed you'll get paid.
- Destroy Capital Ship: The player will join a group of hunters to destroy one capital ship, which will be escorted by fighter ships. These capital ships, a Nexus, Pegasus or Kamekh, will have stronger shielding than their regular counterparts. All fighters and the capital ship must be destroyed for mission completion. Again, your escorts are irrelevant.
Merchants Guild Edit
- Iron: 6 missions to advance. Total of 0 missions to attain this rank.
- Steel: 10 missions to advance. Total of 6 missions to attain this rank.
- Copper: 15 missions to advance. Total of 16 missions to attain this rank.
- Bronze: 20 missions to advance. Total of 31 missions to attain this rank.
- Silver: 25 missions to advance. Total of 51 missions to attain this rank.
- Gold: 30 missions to advance. Total of 76 missions to attain this rank.
- Platinum: 35 missions to advance. Total of 106 missions to attain this rank.
- Diamond: Maximum Rank. Total of 141 missions to attain this rank.
Types of Missions Edit
- Transport X from Y to Base/Ship Z: You must collect cargo X specifically from Base/Planet Y and then deliver it to Base/Planet/Ship Z
- Deliver X to Base/Ship Y: You must acquire cargo X and ship it to the specified Planet/Base/Ship Y. You can get the cargo from anywhere so a cheaper location means more profit.
- Join Cargo Convoy: You must acquire cargo X, meet other merchants at Nav point Y, then escort them to base/planet Z in the same system. After all others have successfully reached Z deliver your own cargo there.
Fixers are found at bars on all bases and planets (except Trou and Acorn). Fixer missions once completed can pay automatically or you may have to return to the fixer for payment. Only the first two mission types are offered from the start, the others become available over time when you earn the fixers' trust. E.g. the profitable Deliver Contraband mission needs one-and-a-half 'steps' in the Quine's reputation display (they don't have named ranks).
Types of Missions Edit
- Deliver message to X at Y: Go to Nav Point Y and send the message to Base/Planet/Ship X
- Deliver item to X at Y: An Item is automatically put on your ship which takes no cargo space, deliver the item to the contact X at base/planet/ship Y
- Transport passenger X to Y: A passenger (can be the fixer) goes to your ship and then once you land on base/planet Y they will automatically debark
- Deliver contraband X to Person Y on Z: Buy some contraband X and then land on base/planet or dock with ship at Z and talk to contact Y to complete the deal. Risk of contraband scans, but can be extremely profitable in a ship with decent cargo space (net profit >1,600 credits per cargo unit if plutonium or ultimate involved).
- Collect discarded container at X and return: Go to nav point X and pick up a discarded container and then return to the fixer, you need a cargo scoop, sometimes the nav point may be unknown and you will have to check all the nav points in a system.
- Assasinate X on Y: Go to Base Y and assassinate X, who may or may not be protected by some bodyguards. Warning, you may be temporarily banned from the base after assassinating your target.
- Pick up escape pod X on Y then deliver to Z: An ejected pilot X will be at a nav point in system Y, there may be hostiles in the area. Then deliver pilot to Base/Planet Z
- Destroy ship X in Y: Find the ship of the Hunter/Militia/Confed X at some nav point in the system Y or any of up to three adjacent sytems. Destroy the ship and kill the pilot if they eject with an escape pod. It may probably also be possible to board the ship and kill the pilot. Can take a while as you may have to check all nav points in up to four systems.
- Intercept cargo transport X from Y to Z: The ship X is flying from nav point Y to Z in the same system. Intercept and destroy the ship, pick up the cargo container left behind and deliver it to the fixer.